8 Reasons why you should see a chiropractor during and after pregnancy.
Many people go to the chiropractor for relief from pain causing conditions such as: neck pain, low back pain, sciatica, “pinched nerves”, headaches and disc injuries. However, what many women do not know is that chiropractic care during pregnancy is a safe and natural way to treat pain and other pregnancy related conditions. In this article we will discuss the benefits chiropractic can have for both the mother and her baby.
- Back pain is the number one and most common reason patients present for prenatal chiropractic care. The body changes when you are pregnant in many ways. It must adapt to the newly developing fetus. It does so by expanding the rib cage and increasing pelvic motion. This often results in mid-back, rib and low back pain.
- As the pregnancy progresses the bodies biomechanics are force to change. Weight gain is a contributing factor that changes posture in many women. The “typical” image of a pregnant women is someone with “sway back posture” or I like to call it tired mom pose. In the picture the mother is holding her lower back, “pooching her belly and rounding her shoulders. Consciously working on correcting poor posture will decrease the risk of developing low back pain. Secondarily, for many women finding a comfortable position to sleep in is very difficult. Changes in typical sleep patterns often result in new aches and pains and less restful sleep. A good nights sleep is necessary for brain and body health. Regular chiropractic care has been shown to improve your ability to sleep comfortably.
- Hormonal changes that result from pregnancy increase ligament laxity (due to a hormone called Relaxin). This allows the female body to make the necessary adaptive changes to carry a child. Ligament laxity is necessary during this time but it can make women more susceptible to sprain injuries. The spine is surrounded by several ligaments that connect the vertebrae. As a result it can cause misalignments (aka subluxations) more easily during this time.
- Throughout pregnancy and especially during delivery, the pelvis, spine and surrounding muscles must all work in sync. Chiropractic adjustments maintain this synergy to create the ideal environment, development, and birthing process for both baby and mother.
- As we just learned chiropractic care encourages optimal fetal positioning which can decrease the risk of a caesarean section. Regular adjustments have also been shown to allow for easier and quicker labor times.
- Your nervous system sends signals from your spine to surrounding organs. Chiropractic adjustments remove the nerve interference to allow the body to function optimally. As a result chiropractic can help reduce bowel irregularity and morning sickness.
- Consistent chiropractic care throughout pregnancy and postpartum results in a quicker recovery from the birthing process. Restoring proper nervous system function during this time is essential to the quality of life of the mother.
- Infant immune systems are not fully developed at birth. This means babies are more susceptible to infection. Also, increased immune function benefits mothers that spend a lot of time in schools, hospitals, gyms, etc…Chiropractic adjustments boost the immune system by restoring optimal nervous system function.
There are many techniques that can be used during pregnancy. They are safe and effective for both mother and child. When you visit your chiropractor a consultation discussing your medical history and examination will be performed. This will help determine if chiropractic care is right for you. Relaying any pertinent information between your PCP, obstetrician, midwife, doula and chiropractor is always advised.
Our office uses chiropractic pregnancy pillows that allow you to lay face down on the table! It is a safe and comfortable way to get adjusted. For more information about the pregnancy pillow we use visit: https://chiropracticpregnancypillows.com/